beauty

Kylie Cosmetics v Colourpop

20:37


You've all heard the Kylie v Colourpop controversy by now (even my boyfriend can tell you a quick version if you want to hear), but I actually haven't seen anyone who owns both say that they think they are the exact same formula. Even Stephanie Nicole (the founder of the controversy) doesn't rank them the same on her Liquid Lipstick ranking (Colourpop #9, Kylie #18 although she does claim this ranking difference is because of the price, colour selection and shipping time/price and not formula). 



For her comparison video watch here. I find it very honest and informative. However, just as she says that people who prefer the wear of Kylie's formula are telling themselves that because they want to believe it because they love Kylie, I think her hate of the family and calling Kylie young and dumb says that she doesn't want to love the formula herself, especially because of it's similarities in ingredients. She does acknowledge that the difference in order of the ingredients changes the wear of the lipsticks. 

I don't have the knowledge or understanding of the cosmetics industry as Stephanie so I can only give my opinion (you don't have to listen to me). I do notice a difference in the original formulas I own to the new formula (I think Exposed is the only new formula I have but I could be wrong). The new formula isn't as comfortable as my favourite LipKit (Koko K) and doesn't last as well on the inside wetter part of my lips, much like Colourpop. Kylie's Exposed did still last better than Colourpop when I wore half/half on my lips (looking like an idiot because they were completely different colours) for half a day. I ate, drank and compared the two to notice that Kylie's did still wear slightly better. Depending on the conversion rate it will cost around AUD$60 for a Kylie LipKit including shipping and around $34 for a Colourpop Ultra Matte + a lip liner and shipping. I can't say that Kylie's lasted $26 better, that would be ridiculous of me to claim! But I can say, I do believe that you're still paying more for a better product, but with the old formula you were getting that $26 difference. Colourpop is great for the price, great for the shade variety but bank breaking for  shipping (even more so than Kylie's shipping!!) to Australia. Their Ultra Mattes don't feel as comfortable on the lips but are still nothing for me to complain about, and they still last nicely. They are an amazing product for the price (if you ignore shipping) and you get your money's worth. Do your research before you buy though, as I have heard that some shades are patchy and/or flaky, but I haven't noticed this myself (probably like how people are finding Kourt K patchy. It's kind of hard to find an amazing, non-patchy, dark liquid lipstick). 



I don't think Kylie will change the formula back (why would you when you're still selling out at every restock???) so I will be sad when my OG LipKits run out. 

Just remember: even the Colourpop owners have confirmed the formulas are different and the companies produce their lipsticks in different factories. Many companies are owned by parent companies. The Estee Lauder Companies Inc owns Bobbi Brown, Clinique, Estee Lauder (duh), GlamGlow, MAC, Smashbox and more. No one makes a big deal about that... Though I do know that a big issue in this controversy is that the formulas are so similar in ingredients. 



Unfortunately, Colourpop just doesn't last on my lips when I eat a big greasy burger the same that Kylie does, and that's where my real disappointment lies. 


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I like your take on the whole Kylie Cosmetics and Colourpop controversy, and I completely agree with you! I reckon that you are paying for the brand name and I honestly felt Colourpop’s formula was so much more drying and didn’t stay on as long (especially through eating a greasy cheese burger!) I find that throughout the day it goes patchy and it looks even worse when I try to reapply it, and I find that Kylie’s formula doesn’t do that. Also the whole infamous Kylie Lip Kit packaging is what excites me and I think is another reason why it’s so much pricier than Colourpop’s lippies. I like to collect Kylie’s Lip Kit’s and use the packaging as decoration in my beauty room, so that’s another reason why I would spend my money on Kylie Cosmetics instead of Colourpop’s. I also agree with you that Colourpop’s shipping rate is ridiculous, especially to Australia, there needs to be something done about that! I usually wait to purchase from Colourpop around Christmas time when they have a good shipping deal.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete